
The last few days have been close to unbearable; painful is probably a better word to describe the weather is Baghdadistan. We have to walk about 10 minutes in order to get to the chow hall but the last few days we have taken the long way just so we can walk through air conditioned buildings…I’m waiting for the people working in those offices to put up a “no thoroughfare” sign, but if I was them I would take advantage of the foot traffic and maybe sell snow cones or something. This week’s high was approximately 135 degrees and it’s supposed to get even hotter in August so we are really excited about that. As you can tell by the title I do not believe there is any purpose to this heat. I mean honestly, what purpose can this heat serve (other than making a simple walk across the street a painful experience)?
We have visited several interesting sites and met with some interesting local people over the last week. The Iraqis we work with seem to genuinely want to learn from our experience and knowledge as they freely admit they were cut off from the rest of the world when Saddam was in power. What I find interesting is these individuals recognized there was other information out there aside from what Saddam was feeding them which is in contrast to what I assumed would be the case, albeit many of these individuals are older and more educated. From what I have seen and read most populations under dictatorial rule are not exposed to other points of view therefore giving them a very narrow mindset. These individuals (and surprising many other lower class locals) recognize Saddam’s information was not the only information and now want to take full advantage of the “awakening”.
Many of you have asked and yes I got to see Obama running through the Embassy when he was here on his tour. Nothing real exciting to report…he looks the same as on TV. Also saw Gen Petraeus headed to some meeting, for being the highest ranking General here and having to report directly to Bush and Gates he looked very laid back. Well here are some photos to keep you entertained and, yes that is me overlooking the Tigris River. Lastly, GO RAYS!!!
6 comments:
Yea!!! Pictures and a post...to what do we owe this honor? :) j/k Glad you are doing well as possible. The only purpose I know of for that kind of heat are for people like Mike. Other than that I have no further explanations. Hang in there and January will be here before you know.
Hey Cuz, I've got a few messages for you from co-workers...
From Vicki: who's son just got back..."Tell him he's in my prayers"
From Meg: (way-former military police)"Please tell Cousin Dave thank you and that I am ordering him to stay SAFE!!!!!! from a grateful citizen"
From Jacqui: LORD, Creator of all, Lover of peace, Bless this dear man, cover him, protect him, bring him home safe. In Jesus name I pray, Amen. Please tell Dave I said Thank You...I will keep him in my daily prayers
From me, thinking of you and praying all stays well.
Luv ya, and as always, God Bless and Stay Safe
Cuz
p.s. I'll send house pics via e-mail. It's getting sooooo close.
Wow- despite the the downside of asking a question and getting two hours of a response, it must be so fascinating to be talking to all these different people who have lived worlds apart from what we know. I hope you're able to enjoy it at least a bit :)
there is actually water over there...are you sure the "tigris river" is not just a mirage? you should go swimming in it just to be sure...anyhoo.....:)
well if the Tigris is a mirage then I wasnt the only one fooled because someone built a bridge over the mirage...
Maybe it's all a conspiracy or sneaky scheme....lol
Post a Comment