Tuesday, July 29, 2008

nam means yes

We had another dust storm a few days ago which looked more like fog than sand…until you opened your mouthed and inhaled, you then quickly realized it was more than fog (or so my “friend” says because I would never do something as silly as that). I was not complaining though because the sand blots out the sun dropping the temperature by 20 - 30 degrees. A usual walk to the chow hall in 125 degree weather suddenly becomes bearable in 100 degree weather. So pick your poison, walk while chewing air thus arriving at the chow hall half full or sweat out of pores you didn’t know you had…either way it’s not paradise. Also, the dust is so fine it gets inside the buildings and offices. In the Palace there are several large banquet size rooms with Cathedral ceilings so when the dust storm came through even these large rooms had a cloud of dust hovering over them. It almost looked like someone was grilling food in the offices or there was a big Palace bon fire somewhere. I grabbed a plate and quickly looked for the party only to find it was nothing more than a cloud of sand…don’t judge me, it’s the little things that are exciting around here.
Now for another Arabic language lesson and how it applies to my life here. The word “yes” in Arabic is “nam” pronounced so it rhymes with Tom. “No” in Arabic is “la” pronounced just as it is spelled. Now my whole life I have been accustom to hearing “no” as a negative and “yes” as an affirmative, follow me so far? Ok, when we sit in meetings and I hear an answer to a yes or no question start as “nnn” my natural reaction is to think “no”, when actually they are saying yes. Likewise, with yes, “la” sounds much like “ya” so again I hear “la la la” and my first reaction is to think they agree. To compound the issue some local individuals know some English so they will frequently answer your yes or no questions in English for whatever reason. Well, I’m not that quick so our conversations several times have turned into an Abbot and Costello routine with us going back and forth trying to figure out why he said “nnn-am” yet he agrees? I thought you said no? Wait, you say la…so you agree? ”No Mr Dauood, I do not agree…”. Never mind the other guy that replies “no” in English just to confuse the matter. In the end, it could make for a great comedic skit. I’m starting to wonder if any other higher level people have had issues with this and if so I wonder how many major problems have been caused because of the nam/la conundrum, as I like to call it. In the end, I’m exaggerating the situation for humor but I did find it comical having to sit there and tell myself “remember nam means yes…”.
Ok, I’m off to watch a $2 knock off movie from the Haji Shop…comments are encouraged.

9 comments:

Jamee said...

This is related to your previous post. Why would one wear a scarf in 130 degree weather? You are already wearing long sleeves, long pants, body armor, etc. What purpose does the scarf that you are wearing in the picture serve, other than the obvious fashion reason. I am all for accessorizing your outfit in potential combat situations, don't get me wrong. Just wondering is all.

Anonymous said...

Gee whiz, I'm going to quit complaining about the 105 degree heat here! Would it help if I swiped some surgical face masks from my hospital and sent them over to you? I could also send a box of latex gloves, which you can blow up like a balloon and decorate like a turkey. It may be more fun that your nam/la game.
Stay safe, and thanks for sticking this out on behalf of the rest of us!

me said...

Jamee: The scarf is because the vest I wear cuts into the sides of my neck. With a scarf there it keeps me from coming home with slices on the sides of my neck. And all the cool people are doing it...

Break:

Beth: Masks would be great...gloves maybe...

jgs said...

i enjoyed your singing... la la la! maybe you should make it into a rap... nam? la? no? ya? yes? maybe? la speaka de english? confused yet? si? que? okay, enough. i can see those guys doing that to you on purpose... kinda like Jackie Chan did to Chris Tucker in Rush Hour...

Anonymous said...

James...did you just say 'body armor'??? WOW! Gives me a whole new meaning.

Dave if you are really bored you can use my city game to keep you entertained over there. See how creative you can get. :) It provided much entertainment for the group.

Hey...Dave...nam means yes...thought I would tell you.

Cuz said...

cuz
lv ya,
stay safe

jgs said...

"do you not understand the words that are coming out ov my moufh?" - jackie chan

Jen said...

Hey Dave! Reading your blog makes my time at the Watch go by two minutes faster. Ha. I hope you and Gax are having fun!

Lodo Grdzak said...

Great stuff Iraqistan. Nothing like the heat to turn your mind into mush and keep those old tribal feuds simmering for another 2,00 years. Cant think straight in that shit and your temperament becomes uneven. There's a reason the worlds great geniuses (Mozart, Einstein, Dostoevsky, Stephen Hawking, etc.) come from cooler climates. That hot weather saps a man's soldierly spirit and leaves a culture ripe for exploitation. Stay safe!!