I believe everyone knows or is familiar with the historical significance of the Tigris River located here in Iraqistan. The Tigris river borders the IZ in several areas so for that reason we pass over the river quite frequently. As we were parked near the river one day (sorry no photos, camera died) I had to stop and remind myself I was overlooking one of the most historical rivers in the world. I was overlooking a river noted in the Bible, that's incredible history. For those of you that know me know I'm a lover of history...as my Bachelor degree states (it doesn't state majored in "the love of history" but history itself.) The history we have access to in the states is a more recent type, so recent in fact that many Europeans say its not even history yet. So keeping these factors in mind I really tried to take it all in...knowing I was not just overlooking a historical landmark but a Biblical landmark. I was trying to picture what the area might have looked like around the time of Jesus but was unable to get my mind wrapped around standing where Biblical history has occurred. When I really took the time to appreciate what I was looking at, it blew me away. Anyways, once I get some photos I will post them.
We had an interesting meeting with some locals a few days ago. Food for thought: if you are ever in the middle east...Middle Easterners, Iraqis specifically, have a problem answering a question in two to three minutes. If the saying "ask what time it is and they tell you how to build a watch..." ever applied, its here. I merely asked a question regarding security and after 2 hours and several empty cups of tea he was finished...the problem was I still didn't get an answer. I got the history of the country, the history of the Sunni tribes, the Shia tribes, Iran, etc...it went on and on. Now past deployment experience tells me this is bound to happen but I forgot how far off topic a conversation can get if you let it. Sitting and talking with the locals for hours at a time is a great way to build rapport but one must be diplomatic in both finding an interest in what they are saying but keeping the conversation on topic...to an extent. As many of you know I cant stop talking to save my life so its easy for me to start talking history and politics while never really covering the objectives I came there to cover. Funny story, before this very meeting began I was introduced...my name in Arabic is pronounced "Da-ooud", that really has no significance to the story but thought it was interesting. Anyways, the local men heard my name and said "like Davids Star?"..."Davids Star?" We were trying to figure out what they meant, then finally we got it "Star of David...Israel", yes yes that's right. Then one of the local men says "wait are you Jewish..." I paused, the meeting got a little tense for a second...I discreetly reached for my weapon thinking we are about to have a jihad right here in the building. I calmly replied "no, my mother just liked the name...". Everyone just laughed and went on with the meeting. Between you and me...and everyone else in the world who has access to this blog, little did they know I am 1/16 Jewish on my mothers side and am ready to defend my 16thness at any cost.
Other than that...nothing to report (or nothing else I can report). Chow hall food is OK...it is nice not ever having to cook a meal though. Had some local cuisine yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed that. We will be busy next week so hopefully I can get some good photos to post and stories to share...until then Infidel Dave signing off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So should I call you Day-bee or Da-ooud? Also--seeing you respond to my Evite all the way over in Iraq makes me laugh!
Really??? 1/16th jewish... come on... REALLY??? Welcome to the tribe my friend!!! Hope all is well....
-BRANDES
Post a Comment