Wednesday, July 2, 2008

On the road again...

I was just informed today I will be moving again...this time to a base about 5 minutes away. This will be my 5th move in 2 weeks. Anyways, it was an answer to prayer (not the move itself necessarily) because my partner and I were initially assigned to an area that has little to do with our skill set. Now we will be moving to an area more to our liking/skill set…and with other friends of ours. The job should ramp up rather quickly for us and will have us doing some interesting work. We had a wicked sand storm that covered the city yesterday. All the vehicles, sidewalks, and buildings had a nice layer of sand on them. It was hard to talk to each other while outside because opening your mouth meant you ate sand. Keeping your eyes open was difficult also because the sand gets in your eyes. Many people donned medical masks or scarves to shield their face. I laughed (not too hearty though because I didn’t want to swallow a bucket of sand) because with everyone wearing masks it looked like we had a medical epidemic on base…an airborne virus maybe. And never mind the scarf wearers, some people could pass for the Red Baron with the scarf flapping in the wind, while others wrapped the scarves around their face looking like they just stepped out of Compton Los Angeles (ahhh L.A., the city by the bay…that’s for you Mike S.). Anyhoo, it was interesting to watch infected hordes of people, gang members, and WWI pilots walking around the IZ.

What I also found comical was just two days earlier my partner and I were commenting on the street cleaners that were using leaf blowers to clear the sidewalks of sand. We said to each other “you blow the sand away today it comes back tomorrow…” and then two days later…bam…a sandstorm. I’m thinking about buying stock in the Iraqi Sand Blowing (ISB) TM businesses because there is no shortage of work when you live in a desert. I also bumped into a friend of mine from South Dakota yesterday. He offered to take us around and see the sights…again its nice knowing people around here. More to come once the move is complete!

Oh yes, and the Tampa Bay Rays are in first place in the AL East by 2.5 games. Define irony for me…mans favorite team has been in last place since their creation…the first season the team has a chance to make the playoffs man gets tasked with sudden deployment. It’s a conspiracy!

6 comments:

jgs said...

i'm not sure i have ever heard of this team you are calling 'the rays'... do the play arena football?

Anonymous said...

How do you know that I haven't already visited Tampa too??? :)

Michael said...

No man, I think you are talking about the emerald city

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your 'Rays swept the Red Sox! God must be smiling down on you. And even better, I got to see the Rangers BEAT the Yankees in NY this week! I think it's a sign of the Apocalypse.

Liz Espeland said...

So what kind of scarf wearer are you? We need pictures.:)

Jamee said...

Can you watch the game there?