So I have mentioned the connection is slow here so I've been having some serious problems posting blogs. The events of the last few days went as follows: I watched a movie in Saddams old theater palace…that was a treat. So can anyone guess what one thing Saddam and I have in common?? Our favorite movie is the Godfather (or it WAS his favorite movie) Not sure what that commonality says about me though. I should be moving into a trailer within the next couple days but I am not holding my breath on that one. My trailer will have a wall locker, night stand, small fridge, and a bed…its like the Baghdad Hilton compared to what I had last time. Anyways, I have developed a level of Stockholm Syndrome for the tents so I don’t know how I will react when I leave, but I’m sure I will be just fine.

On my way to church today I stopped and talked with the Iraqi security guards. They seem to enjoy my attempt at using Arabic and likewise I enjoyed their “no English” response to my question of whether they spoke any. Because of the language barrier our conversations quickly deteriorated to misunderstood gestures and laughing. I also got a chance to visit the Crossed Swords and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier both of which were memorials Saddam had built in remembrance of Iraqi soldiers killed in the Iran-Iraq War. At the base of the Crossed Swords are thousands helmets from dead Iranian soldiers…it has been seriously looted but some still remain. Posting photos is difficult because of the connection but I will find a way as to quench everyones thirst for photos. While visiting those sites we swung by the Baghdad zoo. We entered through the back gate which was the Baath Party gate reserved for Saddam and his cronies. At this back gate Saddam had built a resort of sorts not open to the public…which we now drive through singing “God Bless America”. The zoo is overgrown with shrubs and weeds…the souvenir stores are all vacant and all the animals are gone…either fled or joined the insurgency I assume. Al-Elephanti al-Islam is a terrorist organization led by a former zoo elephant, oddly enough we are having trouble locating him but there is a reward out. In related news, African poachers flood the country in hopes of cashing in on reward. The US has civil affairs working on cleaning and rebuilding the zoo in hopes that one day it can reopen. Please leave compliments if you feel so led…complaints will be automatically forwarded to the recycle bin…a dictatorial blog in the spirit of Saddam!
On my way to church today I stopped and talked with the Iraqi security guards. They seem to enjoy my attempt at using Arabic and likewise I enjoyed their “no English” response to my question of whether they spoke any. Because of the language barrier our conversations quickly deteriorated to misunderstood gestures and laughing. I also got a chance to visit the Crossed Swords and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier both of which were memorials Saddam had built in remembrance of Iraqi soldiers killed in the Iran-Iraq War. At the base of the Crossed Swords are thousands helmets from dead Iranian soldiers…it has been seriously looted but some still remain. Posting photos is difficult because of the connection but I will find a way as to quench everyones thirst for photos. While visiting those sites we swung by the Baghdad zoo. We entered through the back gate which was the Baath Party gate reserved for Saddam and his cronies. At this back gate Saddam had built a resort of sorts not open to the public…which we now drive through singing “God Bless America”. The zoo is overgrown with shrubs and weeds…the souvenir stores are all vacant and all the animals are gone…either fled or joined the insurgency I assume. Al-Elephanti al-Islam is a terrorist organization led by a former zoo elephant, oddly enough we are having trouble locating him but there is a reward out. In related news, African poachers flood the country in hopes of cashing in on reward. The US has civil affairs working on cleaning and rebuilding the zoo in hopes that one day it can reopen. Please leave compliments if you feel so led…complaints will be automatically forwarded to the recycle bin…a dictatorial blog in the spirit of Saddam!
4 comments:
just curious to know when you are going to post some pictures?? my picture thirst is not being quenched.
i love reading your blog!
Wow...it's nice to know that your sense of humor is still well intact. However I am quite curious on how your new bunkmates are responding to the 'survival kit' you were given. :)
THanks for the updates!
Post a Comment