I apologize for not posting more photos but due to moving constantly I have used a different computer every other day to do work. For that reason I have been unable to upload photos to one computer in order to post them. Once I get a computer somewhere I will begin posting some photos. Today was July 4th apparently, the days start running together so I'm really not sure what day it is anymore. The chow hall kind of gave it away with all the decorations and such. I thought to myself "wow these cooks are really patriotic"...then my investigative skill kicked in. Tonight we bought some steaks from a tiny, and I mean tiny, exchange shop here on base and cooked them on an old beat up grill, wasnt bad though. We just sat around a told war stories all night, laughed, etc. As I was sitting there I realized that this was my second 4th of July in this country...isnt there some kind of award for that or something?
The last couple days have been interesting. The group of us went out on some missions in the 120 degree weather...and with that gear it starts to get hot quick. We wear an extra 50-60 lbs of gear easy to include a thick vest, ammo, guns, comms, water, camera, etc (gotta have the "cool guy" photos). I think to myself with all that gear on I am going to be mad if someone shoots me in the leg...now I got one bad leg and a bunch of gear on. Why you gotta shoot me where I have no gear? Anyways, I find it interesting walking around the city...Baghdad is further along than Kabul in terms of infrastructure but still a third world country. Its a situation where a nice building could be right in the middle of the slums. For example, I saw the brand new Olympic Soccer stadium they built. The stadium is beautiful but the town around it...not so much. I'm trying to come up with a mission that would require me get a game started on the field, more to come. Lastly, the local men are way to friendly with each other around here. I mean I knew that from the last trip but I witnessed about 4 to 5 fellas spooning in the hallway...it was just uncomfortable to look at. I had to keep walking..."not that theres anything wrong with that..." (Seinfeld quote). Signing off for now and thanks for the prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
so some of us are at Jen's tonight eating homemade ice cream! I thought in honor of Jen's preparation for us all, i would play her favorite song by Journey... 'dont stop believin'... of course she loved it!
thanks for the pics today! they help out the visualization of your blog... ;-) oh wait... i didnt see any.
Thanks for your service... its something we take for granted... seeing as we are sitting in the A/C eating homemade ice cream while you are our sweating in 120 degrees eating paper thick steaks.
God bless you bro and all your buddies over there providing us FREEDOM!
Thank you for everything that you are doing for our country...I am truly honored to have a friend like you fighting for our country :) All of my prayers are with you I know that God will keep you safe.
NO I DID NOT LOVE IT...SERIOUSLY JOEL??? Dave you missed nothing however Amy has some new sayings again...so more to be added to the site for your viewing pleasure. :)
BTW - did you see that Joel winked at you??? What is that about?
In all seriousness though I can't say enough how much I appreciate what you and all the other men and women are doing for us and our country. You are what the 4th of July is all about. Thank you and God Bless you!!!
i had something in my eye... geez!
Post a Comment