Thursday, August 21, 2008

back by popular demand

As a young professional I find myself in a learning mode more times than in an instructing mode, and one thing I have really learned about is the creation and implementation of what I like to call preventative policy. Now in our lexicon the word “preventative” usually has a positive/neutral meaning whether it is preventative maintenance on a vehicle or preventative security measures for safety; however I define preventative policy as regulations put in place to prevent work from actually being accomplished. I know a majority of us have been subjected to this policy at one point or another in various forms throughout our lives so this does not come as news to most. The only advice I have received on handling the situation is “Dave just embrace the suck…”. Well I know if I ever get to that point then I have already drank the Kool-Aid and by then it’s too late. I prefer the saying “work smarter not harder” reminding us to frequently review policy to ensure we are working more efficiently and intelligently, rather than working to create useless policy which in turn forces us to work harder…all this in hopes that these actions will justify our position. It is a vicious cycle. On to other things…

I had an interesting discussion with a local individual a few days ago. He spoke about Iraq during Saddam’s reign and had some interesting points. He first pointed out how Saddam frequently threatened war with Israel but only had the gall to attack Kuwait and Iran. He also pointed out how Saddam, in an effort to gain allies, would spend millions of dollars buying allies while his own people could not afford food for their family. I thought about the responsibility of government to protect its people and the complicated issue of removing a hostile govt. while trying to protect the people of that country. He also had some choice words for Saddam which I have omitted from this narrative for obvious reasons.

This deployment has turned the corner into the Ground Hog Day stretch, when you get into a groove and start waking up feeling like every day was just like the last. Or at least that’s the case until while using the restroom the alarm for incoming rocket goes off, you got limited options on how to react at that point. I just hoped it would turn out like the scene in Jurassic Park where the guy is sitting on the toilet while everything collapses around him leaving just him on the john (minus the T-Rex standing there about to eat me). That’s when I tell myself “now that’s not something that happens every day…” and suddenly Ground Hog Day is over.

3 comments:

Cuz said...

missed you, but know you're busy.

you know, it never ceases to amaze me how you maintain such an off-the-cuff sense of humor. it's great! "uncle bill" would love it. gotta introdue him to this.

hey, how 'bout another pic?
(and i don't mean of t-rex)

as always, God Bless & stay safe

Anonymous said...

Prevention is our HR motto!!! However I like to mix it up every now and again. You have to keep it interesting. You know email random Mike Stoneking's.

You said without the T-rex but how do we know that for sure??? :)

Take care of yourself! DR!!!

Lodo Grdzak said...

You say you've been contemplating the thorny issue of when/if/how to remove a tyrannical government, but you make no mention as what your final thoughts are on how this relates to Iraq. Maybe you can't say, but I'd be curious if you think that the case of removing Saddam was worth it. Particularly since I would agree w/ you that government's first job is to protect its own citizens. Sounds like you've accumalated some amazing experiences.