It is raining today in Baghdadistan which isn't all together bad because it makes the weather cooler but it does become a headache due to the sand. When the sand gets wet is becomes an Elmer's Glue type mud that sticks to the bottom of your boots and is a pain to get off. I grew three inches just walking from the office to the chow hall because the mud had built up so much under my feet. Once I got to the chow hall I needed a bowie knife to cut the mud off my boots. I'm no scientist but I think the properties of Baghdadistan sand have some of the same elements found in concrete...just a guess seeing I have to chisel my shoes free from this natural instant mix concrete. The night before the rain it was extremely windy, sand was all over me and once again by the time I arrived at the Embassy I felt like I had slid into second base five or six times (BTW - GO RAYS). Later as we were talking I realized many of our conversations start out as "if it wasn't for...", much like over the last two days. "If it wasn't for the sand, the breeze would be nice" or "if it wasn't for the sand the rain would be nice..." or my favorite "if it wasn't for the smell of crap everywhere I wouldn't mind breathing...". Oh well, as one brilliant military officer once said "if soldiers aren't complaining than they're not happy"...well said, we love to hate the situation but then brag about it when its over...good times.
I get to take a mini-vacation next week which means I will be doing homework most the time and watching $2 movies from the Baghdadistan Blockbuster. Halloween is coming up also, thus we are implementing "Operation cancel Halloween". Its a difficult balance to strike when you are in a war zone in which uniform regulations, badges, etc apply so if one is to wear a costume it must be something that would not get you shot or arrested or sent home but is still creative and funny. I will think of something and post some photos (calm down, I also promised I would write a blog a week...hehe) BTW...My father and I built the Rays bandwagon so many people are on now. Kind of feel like Noah, when everyone was making fun of us...why are you cheering for them...we continued to build...they will never win, we continued and now we are afloat & those same people now want to ride. But alas, everyone is welcome aboard (we will just put you with the horses or pigs)...Editors Note: I am not comparing myself or my father to Biblical figures, nor am I implying that the Lord told us directly to cheer for the Rays. Thank You!
Loyal Rays Fan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
david. you are so funny. that is all!
Your ark only took 10 years to build, mine has taken 36 and counting......could be worse, i wasn't even alive when the misery started.
Well in true Amy's & Friends fashion...'look at all the people jumping around on the bandwagon' - Jenn circa de 2008. I predict a game 7 not sure which way it will go but I hope for a Rays victory.
I agree with enthralledbytheking.
Post a Comment