Thursday, June 12, 2008

And made it...

Ok, so I want everyone to grab their favorite hair dryer, turn it on high heat/speed and point it directly into your face...hold it, hold it...ok stop. Thats sorta what it feels like around here, except hotter and add sand. Well, I made it to the GZ and like the other places there was nowhere for me to sleep so back to the tents...again. On the drive to the GZ we passed the crossed swords and the area where Saddam statue was pulled down by US troops. They have replaced it with some other random thing but it was neat seeing it in person. This morning I awoke and went on a walking tour. Wow, its alot to take in at once...for me anyways because I cant just walk by a building without knowing all the details. Some buildings have huge craters from bombs, others still look like they did when Saddam was in power. I cannot take photos of most of the places but I will try to sneak some. I also visited the Embassy which is Saddams old palace...awesome is the only word that comes to mind. The palace is huge, the inside is decorated with all the high end trappings, etc etc. I couldnt help seeing the irony in it all...Saddam was the poster boy for evil for my generation, everyone knew him and his "love" for the US. Now flash foward, the palace once owned by Saddam is now filled with the very people he hated, just livin up by the pool, having starbucks, and rebuilding the country he destroyed. Its amazing the palaces that can be built when you combine a dictator with the UN and their excellent oil for food program. In the end, I am now walking the halls once owned by the same man we targeted for years...so to honor the moment I found the fancy restroom and took a leak! This one is for you big guy...thanks for the open house! I will post more details as I become familiar with the area. There is a good chance I will be at the Embassy...and I packed my bathing suit...yesss!

6 comments:

jgs said...

YES! You peed on Saddam! well his toilet any way. haha. was it gold plated? glad to hear you made it... finally!

Jamee said...

But is it air conditioned?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a sweet setup with the palace and pool. Now you can work on your tan!!! Ha!

Anonymous said...

Hey kid...I'm sitting here with my mom and we are cracking up at your post, thanks for the laugh Dave! My mom said she wants to see pics(if you can sneak them in). Well I love this blog idea..makes for good entertainment. We are praying for you and glad to hear you FINALLY made it there safely.
Love ya~ Stace( and the rest of the Velasquez bunch)

Anonymous said...

I can just picture the Evite... pool party at Saddam's!
Glad you made it there safely!

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear that you have made it there safe and sound! It is so great reading your updates.

We miss you and can't wait to throw your welcome home party! ;)

Looking forward to more updates.